Drew's first big event at school was the Freedom Walk on September 11th to celebrate Patriot Day. The class made a flag banner with all of their hand prints on it in place of the stars. They had a parade with firemen, policemen, and military personnel. Drew asked to have his picture taken with the fire truck and fire men. Even Allie had a great time.
At this same time they have been learning about community helpers- policemen, firemen, teachers, doctors, mailmen, etc. The teacher sent home a request asking for any parents who were community helpers to come talk to the class. I volunteered for my first kindergarten assignment. I came early one morning last week wearing my white coat and my stethoscope. All the kids knew what I was before I had to tell them. We started talking about what I do at work. They all knew that I help make sick children well. But I told them the best part of my job was that I get to take care of children when they are well also. They were all very focused on the shots and medicine. They would raise their hands to ask questions, but mostly end up telling me random facts instead. Mostly about boogers, as I think we came back to that topic 3 or 4 times.
Then we talked about how to stay healthy. They were all over eating well and exercising. Then we talked about helmets and somehow got off on a side trip about knee and elbow pads before making it back around to boogers again. We talked about washing our hands, covering our mouths, and several other ways to stay healthy. About half way through it Drew came and climbed in my lap and told them about the time he went to the hospital to have his tonsils out. He absolutely loved having me there. I gave the kids some coloring books about staying healthy that I had gotten from LeBonheur before I left. The best part was that when I got home Drew proudly presented me with a thank you card that he and his class had made and they had all signed it for me. I can't wait to see what they ask next year.
Saturday update
1 day ago



No comments:
Post a Comment